Like our Facebook page Rev. Neyda Albarrán

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Potty Pride

As many of you know, I have a (soon to be) three year old. He inevitably teaches me new things everyday. One night, I was on my computer while in bed and he made a big announcement. Ian is in the difficult process (for most boys) of potty training. He ran into the room and said "Mommy, I did it!" to which I answered "Woohoo!". Apparently, my enthusiasm was not enough for him. He kept insisting I go to see the potty. I was dead tired after a long day of work, a meeting afterward and some household chores, it was almost 10 pm. I really didn't want to get out of bed! Just as I was about to muster the strength to get up... Suddenly, silence. Anyone who has heard/read my past posts (video or written) knows that silence is usually a cue for disaster or mischief. Lo and behold, my son had pick up his three piece potty and was carrying it from his room to my room. When he finally crossed the threshold of my door... it happened. The potty slipped out of his hands and seperated into three parts. He stood in shock, splattered with the contents as the puddle grew around his feet. I did not know what to do, this was such a "Murphy's Law" moment. I assured him it was ok, carried him off to the shower and cleaned up the mess. Inside, of course I thought "If he would have waited a couple of seconds more, I would have actually gotten up to see and congratulate him (again)!" This may seem like a silly (gross) story but the truth of the matter is that it reminded me of times when we do great things and get no credit for them. Sometimes, we are only called upon to receive reprimands or complaints. Gratitude and appreciation are hard to come by. However, as believers the Bible tells us that we are to do things "as unto the Lord" (Colossians 3:23-24) and that we should not sing our own praise but let others praise us (Proverbs 27:2). My son did something great but wanted to show it off (and paid the price). Let us make sure we do what is right and good regardless if we receive praise or recognition, at the moment. There is One greater than even the most powerful boss on earth who is keeping tally of all we do for HIM, and HE is faithful and just. Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ. Colossians 3:23-24 (English Standard Version) PS: I also learned to give honor/praise when it is due, not when I feel like it....hehehehehe "Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor." Romans 13:7

No comments:

Post a Comment